Buy a chest of drawers…..and discover that this versatile piece of furniture can be an organizing gem.
Here are some possible uses:
Of course the traditional use for storing clothing in a bedroom.
But also consider it as……
- a TV stand – the drawers can be used for remotes and storage of movies and gaming supplies
- a nightstand – top it with a reading lamp and the drawers can store books, personal care items, notecards or clothing items
- another great idea for use of a chest of drawers in a bedroom – add some IKEA spice racks to the side and it doubles as storage for books or magazines in addition to clothing
- How about in the entry way as a place to store those last minute items needed as you walk out the door? Assign each family member a drawer for their supplies or library books. Top it with a basket for keys and hang a mirror or a bulletin board and you have a very functional area.
- Use the chest to store sewing or craft supplies
- This piece of furniture makes a great sideboard in a dining room or breakfast nook and can hold napkins, placemats or serving pieces.
For many years I had a mini sized chest of drawers in my living room as an end table. It was always helpful to have that extra storage space.
- How about using the drawers of a chest to store your gift wrapping supplies. One for flat wrap & tissue, one for gift bags and one for ribbons, scissors and tape.
- Save yourself some steps in the morning by creating a dressing vanity in a walk-in closet. Simply move your chest right inside and stock it with the small items you may be keeping elsewhere.
Even if you just have a regular closet and not a walk-in maybe it makes sense for you to put your chest of drawers right in the closet. We often suggest this in a child’s room where it isn’t necessary to have a lot of space for hanging clothing and floor space in the bedroom is at a premium.
Put a “Chest to the Test”……you’ll find that it passes with flying colours!
It is always great bang for your buck if the furniture pieces you purchase can do double duty.
A trunk for a coffee table – stores books, linens, blankets or even out-of-season clothes.
Turn an old TV Armoire into a craft storage space. Or use the old armoire to store books AND toys. Give an old piece new life!
An old Armoire can also get new life as a mini power office!
A full sized sofa, rather than a loveseat – seats more, sleeps an adult comfortably (without the need for a pull-out or cot)
In closing for today here are a few more creative DIY ideas!
The back of a headboard can be a wardrobe.
Love this one! Lift top ottomans at the end the bed are a very unique place to tuck away your filing – an organizer’s dream 🙂
And don’t forget to Check us out on Pinterest for lots of great organizing ideas on a variety of topics!
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
To worry about tomorrow steals the joy from today!