#1 Do you have trouble making decisions?
Clutter is the result of postponed decisions. When you are de-cluttering, make the keep/toss/donate decisions easier by asking yourself
- Does this item serves a purpose or add beauty or meaning to my life?
Getting organized is not about getting rid of all your stuff;
it’s about honouring what truly serves you
and letting go of what’s just taking up space.
If you don’t love it or use it, it’s time to lose it.
#2 How are you with setting limits?
Often the quantitiy of “stuff” we have is what can get us into some serious organizing dilemmas.
Here are some things to consider…….
In your kitchen
- Are your pantry and freezer filled to the point that it is difficult to access what you want when you want it?
- Would you do well to decide that you aren’t going to buy anything for a while and use up some of what you have?
In your bathroom
- Do you need to use up some of the personal care products that you already have?
- Are you buying new ones because you don’t really like the old ones you have there…..sounds simple, but get rid of the stuff you don’t like and aren’t using.
- Do you have perfume or bath products that you received as gifts that you don’t really like? If they are brand new, then either donate them to the food bank or re-gift them. If they are partially used then dispose of them to make room for what you do use regularly.
- If your towels are all clean and your shelves are filled to overflowing….you have too many towels. Same with bedding……consider how much you really need and how much you have room to store.
In your bedroom
The stat is that we wear 20% of clothing 80% of the time. Too many clothes for you or your children can cause you a headache!!
Give some thought to this idea of “setting limits”. It can truly help to simplify your daily life.
#3 Are unwanted gifts from well-meaning friends and family members bogging you down?
How many gifts do you have hanging around that were given by well-meaning friends and family members but do not reflect your personal style or are no longer relevant to your lifestyle?
Many of us feel guilty about letting go of presents we don’t need or want. Just because someone gave us something doesn’t mean we have to keep it forever. Nor does it mean that we don’t care for the person anymore if we get rid of it. I’m sure our friends would feel terrible if they knew the trouble their gifts were causing and would feel much better if those items found a new home where they fit.
Start a new trend – give the gift of experiences rather than material things. Here are some suggestions: movie passes, spa or salon gift certificates, massages, restaurant gift certificates, gift certificates for services that simplify and improve life, i.e. maid, personal shopper, professional organizer, personal trainer, life coach, etc.
Check out our spring promotion! Book a 6 hour Matter of Order package with us and we’ll give you a $100 Gift Card for Solutions – The Organized Living Store!. There is a location at The Boardwalk in Kitchener! Get your home organized PLUS have $100 to spend on FUN NEW PRODUCT for your organized space!! Special Spring Promotion applies to jobs that are booked between April 4 & April 20th (work can happen any time!)
Book now to make your Spring Organizing Goals a reality!!